Today is Day 6 of my 12 Days to Abundant & Vibrant Health series. In the first five days, I discussed the importance of reflecting on 2012, using the S.M.A.R.T. framework to establish goals, identifying the benefits and barriers. What’s S.M.A.R.T.? Setting goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound.
These are techniques I use personally and that helped me lose 40 lbs in 2012 by focusing on my nutrition journey! The picture above is a before and after comparison that’s not the greatest but I hope you can understand, I avoided pictures at my heaviest. I’m sure you get the idea though.
And that’s why I’m sharing this process with you and going through it myself as we start a fresh 365 days. What’s great is that it’s not just about weight loss, you can apply these suggestions to all areas of your life – now that’s cool!
So here are my top five goals for 2013:
1. Closer relationship with God. My faith gives me joy, courage and peace. To achieve this goal, I am going to read through my Bible this year beginning today and ending December 31, 2013. I will also volunteer at my church to stay connected – I have two specific opportunities.
2. Lose the last 20 lbs. Beginning Jan 6th, I will start Beachbody’s Insanity program and see it through the 63 days. By the end of the year I will complete three of their programs. I’m a coach so I need to be a product of the product 🙂 Nutritionally, I will continue with juicing, green smoothies, plant-based whole foods and mostly raw.
3. Stay connected with friends and family. Truth is, I need a schedule! I will write a list of all of my friends and family and then assign each one to a month. At the start of each month, I’ll write the necessary birthday cards, thank you or thinking of you notes. I will also create a schedule of people to call weekly. I will write the cards for January this weekend and will mail them out on January 7, 2013. I will start the call tree next week.
4. Grow my Facebook page to 1000 likes. That’s audacious, right? Go big or go home! My plan is to start posting two times daily beginning next week. As I start to engage more consistently, I hope others will want to participate in the i_amEatingRight movement!
5. Grow my YouTube channel to 1000 subscribers. Another big hairy audacious goal! Now that I’ve taken the leap into video, I’m enjoying it. This year, I will post at least three times weekly.
That’s it for my top five. It’s scary sharing but I hope you’ll help to keep me accountable and join in on the journey.
What is your top goal for 2013?
– Kareen, MPH, RD